Sunday, August 3, 2008

Best Damn Cornbread


I am wandering around the Kitchen, and hungry to make something. Son is upstairs Not to Be Disturbed reading the New Harry Potter.I have Sophie Hawkins on, and I am humming, which means I will only offend my deaf dog. So here is my Gift to you tonight, a little Cornbread....passed down countless generations of Kentucky women served with Chili, or Soup, whatever your heart desires.And here is some Sophie for you, singing one of her best "Damn" songs....and fellas tell me is a girl in faded old jeans hot or not ? It doesn't matter....cuz with old jeans and cornbread on a Saturday Night you can't go wrong.

Cornbread:
Cornbread Mix ( sue me it works great when doctored-better than some fluffyass Martha Stewart reciepe). Jiffy is great, or others that have low Sodium and also be aware that some of the brands have more corn meal and can be gritty.....add some pastry flour for lighter cornbread.

Cornbread:
Cornbread Mix ( sue me it works great when doctored-better than some fluffyass Martha Stewart reciepe)
Can Creamed Corn-use .5 or more of can- not too runny.
Brown Sugar 2tables
Paprika- smidge
Cinnamon-smidge and sprinkled on top
Nutmeg -smidge
Maple Syrup- 1 tsps.
Evaporated Milk-1 tablespoon
one egg
water .5 to 3 quarters cup

Mix it all together, and it should be somewhat thick- like cement, slightly lumpy, but still smooth. Bake in a buttered pan, a cake pan and set oven to 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Eat hot- have butter ready.Great withPumpkin Butter or Apple butter. If Granny Ethel made it and you complained it was TOO Dry, she would serve you a shot of Bourbon and tell you to shut up. ( Yup, she was raised by moonshiners and rummrunners-all class).

2 comments:

Ingrid said...

I don't care for cornbread but I sure love that blue wall colour!! So I sense a theme of 'blue' hm?? I love the Yucatan colours and some of their 'blues' are incredible..I'd love to have that in our house. I'm toying between yellow or a certain kind of green as our kitchen already had the green counters in it.. but anyway..hopefully someday I'll be able to show some colourful inside wall pics.. not just anytime soon..
Ingrid

enigma4ever said...

okay...so the story of my house...it is an OLD house..1894....side by side battered old house in downtown C-Town...and it was resided in my College students- ART students..and they painted all the walls strange colors- my son's room- Electric Piss ( no I am not kidding...), and then the kitchen ahh- Dirty MINT Green ( disgusting institutional color), and then the dining room was Burnt Pumpkin, and the Living room was Electrc Royal Blue , and the Bathroom was 4 different Jail Colors...so I had to paint many coats of primer and darker shades to cover up what they did...so the Kitchen is Blue ( which is an odd color for the Kitchen- but It did cover the awful green..and then I even painted the floor- black and white squares- cuz the tiles had NO color left on them- and I could not afford new tiles...and then the Kitchen theme is Early Yard Sale goes Chinese Willow Pattern- all blue and white...and suncatchers by the window over the sink....and an old spice shelf set up to hold the spices..and some hooks for the pots and pans..and the art- is a Painting that Target was throwing out- I paid them 2 dollars for it- and painted and glued the frame......I really love my kitchen....it is where I go find myself.....but yeeah..the whole house ended up being really unusual colors....the LR- Sunset Lavendar,...my son's room is an Old Hawaii color" Tropical Water" it is called....and the Dining Room is " Sage" ( green...)
you would love my house...it is a strange mesh of wondrous finds....( or as 6-6 says- it ain't Martha Stewart !!!)